Monday, August 31, 2009

I Go A Walkin'

After midnight.
Out in the moonlight.
Just like we used to do...
Ahhh, gotta love some Patsy Cline.

It's me again, Margaret!

Me forget the summer adventures I have yet to tell you about?

NEVER.

If you will remember last, we were in Elicottville, NY.

{the 1st picture posted is the print designated for Elicottville, NY crosswalks.}

Love it.

I admire simple twists in common everyday details that make a space unique and in it's own right handmade.

Eliicottville is known as a wonderful snow skiing haven. Matter of fact, the resort we stayed in had ski lifts that actually picked you up at your room's door. This resort was built into the side of one massive mountain. On my run that morning, this mountain was just part of my eye candy. Rockin' the IPOD loud, I marveled at what its magnificent beauty and stellar sites might look like during the winter months when white blankets of icy fun were abundant.

I ran 2 miles through this quaint little town and was overcome with inspiration.

You see, I am easily inspired. Easily motivated. Just ask my partner in crime, Kristi. She can attest to all my lofty hopes and handfuls of howboutwedothises. In fact, just last week I had my trip to Dream for my latest style upkeep and my hairdresser, Ashleigh, told me: "I can see how you played Barbies until you were like 13. You are a dreamer."

And I took it as a compliment and smiled.

I was awestruck with the Ellicottville's small town atmosphere. Tiny, curvy sidewalks shuffled my feet on a 2 mile track as I passed so much history and time.

I was impressively moved by the intricate and detailed architecture of the houses. Moldings, elaborate trim work, eccentric color choices for the exterior of homes. Off handed blues and charcoal greens, slight lavenders paired with greys, razzy reds with creme and yellows.

And the porches were oversized.

Oversized and used better yet.

I passed by more than one house where families were gathered on the front porch enjoying breakfast together. At another porch, there was a lady reading the morning newspaper with her feet propped just so and her steaming coffee cup at her side. Yet at another I spotted, the busyness of a man tending to yardwork and flowers with the sounds of Van Morrison serenading him from his front porch {I actually was in IPOD mid-song change to hear "Moondance"} At another there was an elderly woman sweeping her front porch. It struck me eery how closely the broom resembled her feeble, petite stature. It was as big as she was and it could be easily deducted that this was one of her daily rituals. Her porch needed no sweeping as it was spotless.

I kept thinking to myself: "I wanna live in one of these houses. I wanna wake up with my cup-a-joe in a quaint and colorful cottage and see life living all around me."

And with one perpendicular twisty turn, my run had me passing a black rot iron fence with 3 tall tiers of detailed welding and a gate that was simple yet classic in design. Bruce Springsteen's "My Hometown" was playing on my IPOD.

This gate represented so much more than just a boundary line to me. The Boss's song really said it all. Inside this gate was ornate stone work: the building foundation of Ellicottville. Truly, the hometown heroes, harlots, hopefuls, villains, vagabonds, and victors of this sweet little city.

I was moved almost to tears as I passed this resting place. Lineage lines were easily read as many stones jumbled together sharing the same last name inscribed. Some even stated, "daughter", "son", or "mother."

I ran with respect in my heart and hope in my head. In each of us there is a season to count: a limited time where our lifespan lives in action. Once our time moves from present to past, we are but a memory to remind others. What we will remind them of is up to us in our now for we get only one present.

Tears, I tell you.

Needless to say, once my run was finished, I was spent and full of spirit. Love it when those 2 get together in my life: spent and spirit.

And I just had to go get my best partner-in-crime and take her for a little more laid back stroll of this town I had become so smitten with.

And this laid back stroll only made me fall deeper in love.

Now what did I tell you about taking the everyday normals and putting your own splash of you in them? A-DOR-A-BLE. Who can beat that slogan? They even ship their products. Check them out here!


STOP IT! A semi-circle balcony with cascading ivy and flowers. A gigantic purple doorknob to sell the name. Their products: a mix of antiques, junky finds, art, and interesting stuff. I was bouncing in my pink Nikes. Just ask Kristi!

This was the detail outside of an autobody shop. I kid you not. Purple pansies and ivy out of paint cans. Ridiculously cute.

And this is where I completely lost it. For reals, people.

This establishment was a home complete with a shop off the side full of handmade goodies, home and garden decor, and housewarming tender viddles. YUM. Check out the simple immaculate-ness of this place.

The owner is a master gardener who also runs a flower delivery service out of this shop. Her landscaping was to-die-for. This flower looks only half as good as it smelled. I have no clue what it this species is, but am dying to know. I would love to plant these in and about my home. Dear heavens, the goodness.

See? I told you.

Hold on. I need a moment to gather myself.

Okay, I'm back.

Double blooming begonias: coral orange and sunshine yellow.
These were my wedding colors. I say no more.

Her front porch welcoming committee: sweet potato vine and yellow double blooming begonias.

Welcoming you to...are you ready?

I don't think you are.

I am totally holding my breathe as I type this. It's that divine.

Can you say Martha?

These pretties were all tucked away on the street side of her corner home.

Tucked away in these...


I need just a minute more to regain my composure.

EEEK!

Tangled Twigs is the name of this designer's shop. Again, in true Ellicotville form, details always on the maxim. Yes, I had to buy a little something from here. Check out her packaging. A real freakin' twig...BRILLANT.

These lovies came home with me. I fell straight in love with their chubby snuggles. Kristi laughed at me and said, "You are just like my Mamaw. She would have bought something like this."
And like the Barbie comment from Ashleigh, I took it as a compliment and smiled.

These lovebirds found their home on my kitchen window sill.
I think they look happy, don't you?

On our way down the sidewalk from the Tangled Twig, I spotted even more detail to turn up the corners of my mouth. Simple sweetness in the corner of a store front window. Clever and quaint just like Ellicotville.
A clothing store storefront that was one of MANY that caught my eye.
Red detailed trim work infused with grey and white.

Stellar window boxes. I was so intrigued, I had to take a closer look.

And lookie what I found? A little ceramic handbag peeking out at me.

{My dreams of designing in the details right before me.}

And I took it as compliment and smiled.


Wanna hint why I was in Ellicotville?

Perhaps the orange letters in this post might help.

Until we meet for our next adventure,

.mac :)
a.k.a. Jackie O.

6 comments:

April said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoy tagging along with you on places you've been! What a gorgeous town Eliicottville is! I could spend weeks, possibly months, there! So...you've left us all hanging again, I see? Hmmm...those orange letters wouldn't have anything to do with the Vols, now would they?

Beth said...

I love me some Patsy Cline! She was taken from us way too soon. That little town is too cute. And so are the little birds you bought. Such pretty flowers too. Ok..who got married?!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

Patsy Cline--Crazzyyy! You are such an awesome, good crazy girl!Thanks for sharing your adventures!

JennyMac said...

Hi MM. I love this place! The stores are adorable!

I have about 10 free minutes and had to come and say hi. Best from Seattle.

debbyscafe said...

The ORANGE letters spell WEDDING! Whose wedding??? Am I right?

Shannon Strong said...

Oh this article makes me want to go back home so I can go to Ellicottville again...you captured all its beauty and excitement. Hope you are having a fantastic week my dear!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

k.Mac Visitors