Friday, October 31, 2008

I'm pro candy.

So, I am pro candy. We eat it a lot at our house and for sure everyday in the month of October priming our teeth and bellies for the BIG DAY which happens to be TODAY.

candy = joy.

It's just that simple. Treats make you smile.

We smile often here at the Cobble home.

Now for all of you mamas reading this right now...now, you wait just one second.

We eat good, healthy things around here too.

My candy love--YIN
My healthy eating---YANG

There's balance, people.

And just to prove it to you, I am going to share with you our Cobble Halloween Tradition that we have done every year since Kenny and I have been married...

We make Pumpkin Stew!

Yep, we brew up our own concoction of goodness and cook it in a pumpkin. Being as tonight is Kenny's last regular season football game, we decided enjoy our pumpkin stew a day early.

Here's the process...


Gut and clean out your pumpkin.


Saute chopped onions in olive oil and then add in a pound of ground turkey.

These are my main seasonings for this recipe. I just sprinkle here and there as the "Halloween spirit" moves me. I also add in the old B & W stand bys too.

Mix in 1 can each of garbanzo, black, and great northern white beans. (drained)

Then add in one can of white corn and a small can of green chilles. (drained)

Next add a large can of petite diced tomatoes to the mix. (undrained)

Now dump this mixture into the pumpkin and add a 1/2 cup of water.

Slide it in the oven on a baking sheet for 1 1/2 hours on 350 degrees.

Top with Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

Enjoy this HEALTHY meal as your mouth goes into candy detox!!

Lots of colors...lots of healthy goodness in this stew.
My kids are candy feens...
BUT they clean their Pumpkin Stew plates!

Then we pig out on all the candy corn, Skittles, Snickers, Butterfingers, and Kit Kats that one can possibly stuff in their mouth.

Candy....dang, I love this holiday.

.mac :-)

2 comments:

Joy said...

Mmm Mmm good!
Yes, my kids are older--the youngest is eleven. But I do have a granddaughter who's 15 months who is here a lot. I teach her like I did my own five kids that some things just pretty to look at, and because I don't want to be a real ogre saying NO! No! all the time, I put my nicer things just out of reach. If you knew me, you'd know that almost everything in my home comes from the thrift store so if it gets chipped or broken it's really not that big of a deal.
As for painting a mirror, you just need to mask off the mirror really well with painters tape and newspaper. If you do get a little paint on it, it comes off easily with a razor blade. Use a good quality paint for the best results. You really do get what you pay for.
Now, I'm off to look at your other post so I can see what to suggest there.

Stella Blue said...

I love this! We need to pick this tradition up!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

k.Mac Visitors