Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I sat.

On a cold concrete floor speckled and square tiled.

I sat.

Huddled with my legs kaddy cornered so others could maneuver their ways around us.

To my left a little fox. Bigger than he thinks. New haircut. Toenails that need to be cut. He fit perfectly in the crook of my folded legs. And I felt him. I felt him nestle his 2 fingers around my belt loop to hold on.

To my right a long tall lad. Pressed in against my side, he insisted we do this. Where I can't decide if he has grown more in height or depth of knowledge; it's tough to say. Intuitive. He is. Beyond his years, I know him more and more each day.

On the floor.

In an aisle way.

With a buggy full. Overflowing with groceries strict in temperature specifications and with a list only half checked in completion.

And I read.

I read to them. My boys.

They asked and I obliged. Books not bought only borrowed from a shelf.

2 to be exact. A book that each boy had selected.

In a sea of toys and gizzmos and gadgets, my boys picked books.

And they wanted their mama to read to them.

And at 12:56 PM on Wednesday, October 7th, I couldn't think of a better thing to do than this.

So, I sat.

I read with gusto and animation from deep within. Savoring each tug of my belt loop and each nestle into my side.

I read knowing that now was my time.

My time to give. My time to be exactly what they wanted me to be.

Their mama.

And so groceries thaw.
And checklists wait.

Because at 12:56 this afternoon, I was mama.
And I loved every single second of it.

On the floor.
In the sideways of an aisle.

Kaddy cornered and filled.

.mac :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

well aren't you just a talented writer/story teller! I couldn't agree with you more.. other things could wait.. reading to little bumpkins is much better. Very adorable post, and I loved your discriptive fun words you used.

Carla said...

You brought tears to my eyes. Such a beautiful story.

2 Little Irish Boys said...

You know....sometime we mama's gotta do what we gotta do! Forget everything else--everything else can wait. Even the groceries!!

Beth said...

Your boys are so lucky to have you as a their mama! I love that you put your list and groceries on hold to read to them.

Beth said...

Your boys are so lucky to have you as a their mama! I love that you put your list and groceries on hold to read to them.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

...and that's what they will remember...their mom took the time to be with them.
Love it. Every second of reading it...

Kacey said...

Loved every morsel, every inch of this post. Great job Mama - great job being present and in the moment. Its harder than some may think.

{{HUGS TO YOU}}}

Kacey

Unknown said...

beautiful!

Keelie said...

Great post..Great mamma!

Shannon Strong said...

Just beautiful. I love reading your blog, your stories, your life-it's beautiful. Hope you are having a fantastic week....sounds certainly like you are from this story. Love it. Hugs

JennyMac said...

You are so good! Love the story and especially the way in which you told it.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, you put into words moments I have experienced. I am happy to think that most of the time I have stopped what I was doing to be what my little guy needed, right then and there.

But you went even beyond. I get a little anxious when I have cold stuff waiting to go home. Very nice!!!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

k.Mac Visitors