Wednesday, January 30, 2013

#1 DONE.



My goal for 2012 was to read one book a month.  For some, that aspiration may be measured as pitiful on the meter stick of scholarly.  For others, that may be a lofty stretch.  Me?  I didn't read a damn book all of 2012.  Not one.  By now, I am gathering that my regular readers know that this space is meant for honesty not perfectedy.  There just ain't no sense in lying.  

So.  Ahem.  I opted to do what any tail-between-the-legger would do.  I picked my non-reading self up and moved right into 2013 with the exact same goal.  I am aiming to read one book a month for the year of 2013.  I want this space to be utilized not so much as a report card for accountability, but more so cheerfully as a place of celebration.


I read it. Finished it two nights ago.  I decided to take the time to free write words that sprung forth in my mind as I read the book.  I typed them atop the cover you see above.  This book was so smooth to read.  It's content was hard to have pressed into my heart, but I liked that it was there just the same.  I appreciated so much the conviction of Skeeter and Aibileen.  There was something that stuck with me about Celia Foote.  Her naive delusional debutante-like strength made me love the connection with Minny even more.  Minny.  Oh.sweet.Minny.  
  • It made me want to write my prayers down like Aiblieen does every night. 
  • There are too many Hilly Holbrooks in this world. 
  • Mae Mobley may just be the next Skeeter.
  • Secret Stories should be told more even today on topics of more love and less hate. 
  • The transparency and hateful selfishness of Elizabeth Leefolt is that inner follower in all of us;  forsaking priority and the privilege of love only to keep up with the next trend, hot topic or social whatnot.
  • Goodbyes on unfair terms are gut wrenching for the little and the big.
  • Hope & courage are Aibileen and Minny.
  • Our lacks leave us lousy if we let them; there's a Leroy that lives in us all.

I loved my #1 for 2012 2013.  I'm glad I have given myself another go at the spine cracked side of life.  I am quite certain these characters will make more of me as I peek inside them only to find myself with each turn of the page.


.mac :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this book! The movie DOES NOT do it justice at all!! Have you read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom? One of my all time favorites.

Angela J Bowman said...

Well done, MAC. Well done. Whoof! Whoof! Whoof! (my air fist pumps)

Sarah said...

Yay! I have thought of my lack of reading a book for the last few years actually! I haven't read anything since the Twilight series back when Garyn was maybe 2....I always second guess though because I struggle to find time to do a daily devotion/bible reading and I think if I picked up a book I would only give myself less time to do devotions. UGH! Good job though and I hope you keep it up! Let Eli encourage you each day!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

k.Mac Visitors